Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Exploring Circles - A Shield of Protection - part 5 {Paths to Healing}...

Time for our next installment of exploring circles.  Last time, we explored using circles as containment or as calming...today, we will examine circles as "protection" or "guarding".

Now do NOT think I am moving towards New Age ideology!  I DO NOT think a simple circle can protect or guard you.  I DO NOT think circles have any magical powers in or of themselves, nor do I think drawing a circle around oneself offers protection...in fact, if you are doing that, you are actually opening yourself up to spiritual danger.

Just a quick snap shot - quality isn't very good!

However, I AM talking about this because if you are on the internet and looking for the symbolism of circles, you WILL come across that other terminology and ideology.  What I want to do is to offer some word pictures found in the Bible and reconnect you with the idea of circling prayer that the Church Fathers enjoyed so that when you do come across the dross, you have the true 'mental pictures' coming forward in your mind.

Since the ancients used the circle to symbolize God and His eternal nature, it makes sense that the circle would be employed as the symbol when entreating Him for protection!  I had so much fun finding scriptures that included this idea - the passion of the hearts and spirits of the writers is so evident: 


For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous;
with favor You will surround him as with a shield. 
Psalm 5:12

You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; 
You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah.  
Psalm 32:7

As the mountains surround Jerusalem, 
So the LORD surrounds His people 
From this time forth and forever.
  Psalm 125:2

loving kindness shall surround him who trusts in Yahweh.
Psalm 32:10

Bring my soul out of prison, that I may give thanks to your name. 
The righteous will surround me, for you will be good to me. 
Psalm 142:7 

Perhaps you can find more?
Please feel free to share them in the comments if you do! 

 
Experimenting with prayer circles asking for His protection - and Caim prayers (more in the next circles post)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...