Thursday, December 6, 2012

Advent(ures) - {No. 3} - Quiet Steadfastness that Prepares the Way

Daily Readings:
Day 5 - Luke 1:5-10
Day 6 - Luke 1:11-17

They were both righteous in the sight of God, 
walking blamelessly in all the commandments and requirements of the Lord. (verse 6)

I remember one time early in my walk with the Lord, reading over this particular place in scripture, and being in awe at the profound, brief words written about this couple.   "If this was all that God would have to write about me," I thought, "it would be more than enough."  I still feel that way, and was amazed once again at the convicting power of the lives they lived when reading these words today {Have I wandered from the singular focus of pleasing Him? Have storms or disappointments; privileges or blessings - disguised from me that I might have started working out my own salvation through might instead of by His Spirit? Work in me, Lord - let me see with Your Eyes, let me walk fully in your Presence}  Their years of serving in quiet faithfulness... those years beckon - those years feel contemplative.  And somewhere deep inside, my heart feels stirred that this quiet walking is what I need more of.  More quietness in my spirit and more walking quietly in His Presence...

 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Holy_Cross_Monastery_in_Jerusalem._Georgian_frescoes_01.JPG/345px-Holy_Cross_Monastery_in_Jerusalem._Georgian_frescoes_01.JPG
Photo Source (Public Domain)


And then these two quiet souls, they were thrust into the limelight of history, by a holy visitation that was witnessed by no one else, but left Zechariah literally speechless - because, in spite of the years of blameless* service, of contemplative love, his human heart still couldn't believe what was happening...and the angel gave him more silence until the words of the prophecy were fulfilled (no doubt so Zachariah could consider the dynamics of faithful service and belief - I wonder if this story is what started James to think about faith and works...).  But regardless of disbelief or faithful service, the Lord determined it was time for history to change, and that this family would be pivotal in the plan...

And he will go on before the Lord, 
in the spirit and power of Elijah...
to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.” (verse 17)
 
 *Blamelessness is different from faultlessness - to be blameless is to be the best one is capable of being, however imperfect that might be...

 

The final confirmation of what the quiet steadfastness that prepares the way is comes in this article the Lord brings to my inbox...profound, deep, intentional - can you imagine if this ever happened in our nation? 

But even more, what would happen if I took this deep and intentional step every day...

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...