Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Get More Healing from Your Art - Connecting Your Right and Left Brain {Creative Healing Pathways #3}

       You haven't missed the first two...I just knew what I wanted to write for the third topic already! 


 This image is from a series of Mercedes Benz ads.  The text reads:

Left brain: I am the left brain. I am a scientist. A mathematician. I love the familiar. I categorize. I am accurate. Linear. Analytical. Strategic. I am practical. Always in control. A master of words and language. Realistic. I calculate equations and play with numbers. I am order. I am logic. I know exactly who I am.

Right brain: I am the right brain. I am creativity. A free spirit. I am passion. Yearning. Sensuality. I am the sound of roaring laughter. I am taste. The feeling of sand beneath bare feet. I am movement. Vivid colors. I am the urge to paint on an empty canvas. I am boundless imagination. Art. Poetry. I sense. I feel. I am everything I wanted to be.

[Image and text from post: Left Brain/Right Brain: Gorgeously Illustrated Mercedes Benz Ads.]

If you are involved in creating - fine art, photography, coreography, writing, journaling, art journaling, textile arts, arts and crafts, etc... - you have most likely already experienced that sense of connection with yourself, your: 
emotions,
discovery,
wounds,
secrets, 
hopes, 
desires, 
dreams, 
goals,
a sense of value and worth,
Creator,
ideas,
personal truth...

This post is geared more for those who are creating without words - the painters, the ones working with movement or sound or collages...feeling without formula so to speak...

There is a profound release of oneself into these expressions.  That release is enough all by itself to give merit and value to the finished product as well as the process.  But perhaps you want to take that sense of release and understand it more fully...this is "connecting the right brain and the left brain".  

Just how is this accomplished?  One way is to do an "objective analysis", an impartial inventory so to speak...of  what you can observe about your art...

1.  What type of Lines did I use?  Thick, thin, horizontal, curved, long, continuous, broken, and so on.  
2.   What type of Shapes did I use?  Triangles, squares, 3-D, tiny, massive, symmetrical, and so on.
3.  What type of Colors  I use?  Bright, dull, warm, cool, light, heavy, dark, transparent, and so on.
4.  What Textures did I use?   Smooth, rough, hard, dense, loose, uneven, and so on.
5.  What type of Composition did I use?  Repetitive, formal, loose,  geometric, organic, and so on.

A "subjective analysis" of each area would include adjectives that encapsulate the emotional (to you) quality of the work...dynamic, stark, soothing, unpleasant, pleasant, invigorating, shadowy, soft, cold, warm, inspiring, surreal, flowing, awkward, unifying, and so on...

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...