Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Building a Personal Art Piece - stage II...{Finding Sanctuary - Part 11}

Today is the second stage of making your art piece...
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhi-YCllgyB2kWGHMtA0BNhVRV0WosT6LoxB_2-Yau1DFuxhVWhcbwlxFHRz63vTeyqcN0fx7GZEjgPmpRYIoygIqDuYG_jagHi0KOeb8jWzhHHqU1OvG6m8Xvk34PZvR0tiGeZnUDdCYw/s400/cream-of-the-crop-lg.jpg
image credit and description
Our finished pieces might look something like the above picture - I searched "images of paper weaving" in my browser so I could give you a few things to look at and get inspired with...this one had words on it, so I thought it was close to what your finished project will look like.  Plus, it has the loose ends that I want for my personal project.

Again today, we will be copying your mind-map work from the first week, only today you will be copying portions of part 3 and/or  part 4 both first branch and second branch highlights.  Write definitions, antonyms, synonyms, answers to the questions from part 3, etc. on to colored paper that matches the colors you used in the mind-map.  You can use:
construction paper
scrapbooking paper
card stock
fabric
reclaimed art projects that mostly match the highlighted color (doesn't have to be precise!)
scrap yarns or ribbons in matching colorways (may not be big enough to write one, but will add texture, interest and emphasis to the colors you are using)
white paper that you write on using a colored pen or pencil that matches the highlighted color
water color paper with a wash of color that matches the highlighted color
child's weaving using different yarns and papers for your inspiration...

I will be making my strips 1/2 inch by however long my paper is...I am using watercolor paper that I have on hand for both Monday's work, leaving the paper white, and for today's work and I will be giving the watercolor paper a wash of the highlighted colors I used, which were red, orange, blue and yellow.  I haven't done the washes yet, but I can "see" the color being gradient on every strip.  I will use a sharpie marker to write over the paint once it is dry...I wish I had mine done already to show pictures!  But I want to post this morning, and I am not that far along yet!  I will come back and put a picture in later, tho'!
Think about how big you want your finished project to be...it is OK to make more than one weaving, depending on how much of your journaling work you want to put on each strip.  I am aiming for one weaving, so that I can see how all the colors blend and which words serendipitously end up next to each other.  Therefore, I am listing the words that have the same color (part 3) and their definitions - using one strip for each word + definition.  If there is a Bible verse that links to that color, I will write as much of the verse as I can on one separate strip...I might leave out small "unnecessary" words like prepositions and articles to do this.




To start my weaving, I taped my white reflections strips (using blue painter's tape) so that the paper hangs vertically.  I actually have a board that I can move around that I attach my paintings to, so that is what I used.  You can tape yours down on a table or counter or desk, or you can use the technique in the photo to the left to cut lines into your reflection journaling.  Another option is to cut the strips from one end and stop about a half inch from cutting all the way through to the other edge, and cutting through after your weaving is finished.  I also am going to cut my lines as straight as possible, but if you notice to the left, making your reflection cut lines meander around will result in interesting patterns.  Any method you choose is OK and will result in more insight and a beautiful finished work!  I want the loose feel that "unrestrained" ends have in my finished work - thus my choice of how to proceed...


If you would like to try your hand at a few more intricate paper weaving patterns, here is a site that gives instructions... weaving patterns
 and another...weaving math operations 




Older posts in this series: 
The Journey begins  
A new tool, part 2
A new tool, part 3 
A new tool, part 4 
A Soft Answer, part 5  
How do We Step Into and Out of Anger? part 6
A Time for Reflection, part 7 
  My Mind Map and Thoughts, part 8  
Color a Prayer, part 9 
Using the Mind-Map to Build a Personal Art Piece, part 10

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...